Specialty Care

Whatcom Project Access

Not all health care needs can be met by your primary care provider or family doctor. Generally, patients are referred to a specialist by their primary care provider for a specific condition or diagnosis. For example, if you have been diagnosed with a heart condition, your doctor may refer you to a cardiologist, a provider that specializes in heart conditions.

WAHA is a partner in Whatcom Project Access (WPA), a community program where doctors, the hospital, and supporting service providers donate specialty care to uninsured, low income people in Whatcom County. WPA is not a medical insurance and is meant to be used only as a short term option for people who have no other way to get medically necessary specialty care. Check out the FAQs below for more information or visit our Contact page to get in touch with a team member who can help you further.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible to get services through WPA?

To receive donated care through WPA, a person must:

  • Be a resident of Whatcom County.
  • Have no health insurance, and be ineligible for affordable insurance
  • Have limited income and assets (below 200% Federal Poverty Level)
  • Have a referral from their primary care provider to see a medical specialist for care that is medically necessary

If I’m eligible for WPA, how do I make an appointment with the specialist?

Once your financial eligibility for WPA is determined, you will be scheduled to see the type of specialist your primary care provider referred you to. The appointment will be made by your community health center or a WAHA team member.

Where do I sign up for the program?

If your primary care provider says you should see a medical specialist and you do not have insurance, ask them about WPA. If you’re a patient at Unity Care NW Community Health Center or Sea Mar Community Health Center, staff there can help you apply for WPA. If you go to the doctor somewhere else in Whatcom County, click the button to get in touch with a WAHA team member who can help you sign up.

Contact Us!

How long can I get care with WPA?

You will be enrolled for six months. But if you need to get care from the specialist for more than six months, it may be possible to stay in Project Access longer. You should ask your primary care provider about this.

How do I apply?

First, either your community health center or a WAHA team member will see if you’re eligible for free or low-cost health insurance. If you are, they will help you sign up. Having health insurance helps you get many more services in addition to specialty care. If you don’t qualify for insurance, you can apply for WPA. For this, you will need to complete a Financial Assistance Program application from PeaceHealth St Joseph Medical Center. You must qualify for 100% financial assistance to be eligible for WPA.

Something else?

We would love the opportunity to discuss your specific situation in detail. Click the button below for more information about how to reach us.

Contact Us!