Join Us for Our Upcoming Whatcom CHW Network Meetings
April 26th, 2019 | 9:00AM-11:00AM
Arc of Washington
2602 McLeod Road, Bellingham, WA 98225
Thank you to Arc of Washington for hosting!
May 24th, 2019 | 9:00AM-11:00AM
Northwest Regional Council
600 Lakeway Drive, Bellingham, WA 98225
Thank you to Stacy and NWRC for hosting!
June 28th, 2019 | 9:00AM-11:00AM
SeaMar Community Health Center
4455 Cordata Parkway, Bellingham, WA 98226
Thank you to SeaMar CHWs for hosting!
The Initiative has two main strategies: Creating a county-wide CHW Network and developing a CHW Project in the Sumas, Everson, Nooksack area.
- The Whatcom CHW Network started in April 2018. It brings CHWs together to get to know each other, share the work they’re doing, and support each other. WAHA’s goal is to support CHWs in deciding what kind of support and action will be the most useful to them. The Network meets monthly at different members’ locations; for information on upcoming meetings, please click here and remember to bookmark this URL to stay up to date on the Whatcom CHW Network Meetings: www.whatcomalliance.org/chwnetwork/
- The Latino Community Voice CHW Project is working on identifying trusted community members/natural helpers in the Latino community in Sumas, Everson, and Nooksack. WAHA is also learning about community assets, needs and priorities through a series of community gatherings in April and May 2018, as well as continuing to develop partnerships with the Nooksack Valley School District, churches, community organizations, and businesses. How the Project develops will depend on community members’ interests and priorities, and where the needs and opportunities are.
Our long term vision:
- To create a county-wide CHW Network to support CHWs in their work.
- To be a partner in a CHW Project with the Latino community in Sumas, Everson, and Nooksack
- To ensure there is communication and coordination with other CHW efforts across the region and state, including training, program development, and policy work.
If you have experience as a peer counselor, outreach worker, Promotoras de Salud, patient navigator or community health worker, add this training to your resume and become a part of the Community Health Worker workforce in our state.
The Community Health Worker Core Competency Training is offered quarterly in seven locations around the state.
Learn more here.
2019 CHW trainings can be found here.
Fundamentals of Medical Interpretation (HLTH 155) is offered Winter Quarter (Jan 3 –Mar 22) on Thursday evenings from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., with one hour weekly additional coursework online. Both credit and non-credit options are available.
More information can be found here.
Special thanks to Chuckanut Health Foundation, PeaceHealth, Whatcom Community Foundation, and United Way of Whatcom County for supporting the Whatcom County CHW Initiative.